Help the Scouts Collect Food for the Hungry in our Community!
Doing some spring cleaning? Don’t throw away those canned goods in your pantry. Boy Scouts throughout the area will be collecting food for the 26th Annual Scouting for Food Drive on March 28th. Scouts ask that you please place nonperishable food items in a bag on your doorstep by 9 a.m. on Saturday, March 28th. Scouts will be moving through the neighborhoods from 9 a.m. -12 p.m. to collect all the donated items.
The Scouting for Food collection is the largest food collection for the Tri-State Area. This food collection will not only supply the Dubuque Food Pantry with food for SIX MONTHS, it will also benefit food pantries in East Dubuque, Peosta, Cascade, Epworth, Dyersville, and Bellevue. No matter where the food is collected, the surrounding area will benefit from this selfless act of giving.
The Northeast Iowa Council, BSA started participating in this service project in 1990. Since then, Scouts from the NEIC have collected 715,000 pounds of food for the Dubuque community and the surrounding areas! Last year, Scouts collected over 30,000 pounds of food.
So how can YOU help?
The Northeast Iowa Scouts would like to make this year even more substantial, but we cannot do it alone. Please remember to “TAG the BAG” and help the Scouts provide food for the hungry in our community!
- Grab a bag and search your cupboards for items to donate.
- Place your bag outside your door on the morning of Saturday, March 28th.
- Scouts will come pick them up from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. And presto, you are done!
A few Things to Remember
- Please do not donate perishable, frozen, or items in glass containers.
- Items that are in the highest demand at local food pantries are peanut butter, paper products, canned meat, canned potatoes, and disposable diapers.
- If for some reason the Scouts miss your house and the bag is not picked up by 1 p.m. you can call the Food Phone at (563) 581-9683 and someone will be sent to get it. Or you can take it to one of our collection sites.
Our main collection site: Hy-Vee at 2395 NW Arterial
Other Collection Centers:
Dubuque: Hy-Vee at 3500 Dodge St, Hy-Vee at 400 S. Locust St, The Food Pantry at 1598 Jackson St
East Dubuque: The Food Pantry at 12 Sinsinawa Avenue
Peosta: The Peosta Community Center at 7896 Burds Road
Epworth: Silkers Grocery at 101 E. Main Street, The Food Pantry (St. Patrick’s Rectory, near the garages)
Dyersville: The Food Pantry (Located behind/beneath Dyersville Chiropractic)
Bellevue: The Bellevue Breadbasket at 1700 State Street
100% of all food collected is sorted, boxed, and hand delivered to our area Food Pantries.
100% of any money donated at local Hy-Vee Stores in the name of Scouting for Food is used to purchase more food for local food pantries.
Thank you so much for donating to this great event!
Let's make this another great year for Scouting for Food!